It seems like yesterday that I just wrote the following statement, "There are so many stories just waiting to be told...if I would only take the time to sit down and share them." How fast time passes as the first half of the new year is gone and in just days from now we will be celebrating the 4th of July.
Summer finally arrived and then life on the farm gets so hectic that I don't even know where to begin.
Crops are in the ground ~ cows and calves are out to pasture ~ spraying is finally complete ~ second cutting alfalfa is growing and the harvest of small grains will soon be approaching.
Everything is so nice and green and the fresh country air smells sooo good ~ that is until Ty decided to chop the first cutting of alfalfa. His huge pile is now fermenting and the aroma is indescribable.
Last evening as the sun was beginning to set, Ty and I were checking the irrigation systems. Grandpa Jerry called and stated that he spotted a moose making its way through the fields south of our house. We stopped and picked up the kids and we were off on an adventure in hopes of witnessing a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The moose appeared to be in no hurry to go anywhere as it was roaming the prairie ~ but the closer we tried to get the faster it wanted to run away.
March ushers in the time of year that most of us wait for with great anticipation ~ Springtime ~ but on May 7th, we woke up to "Old Man Winter"
I kept reflecting back to a poem that McKayla recited to me in the month of March with hopes that Springtime would soon arrive.
I've got a secret I'd like to share. It's something I noticed in the air.
Something I saw and something I heard, something concerning a leaf and a bird.
When I was out in the yard at play, I heard a bird singing loudly today.
The bird was a robin, if you've not guessed. And she's come from the south to build her nest.
The thing that I saw out under the snow, was a little green leaf beginning to grow.
Up through the dead brown grass and mud all by itself -- was a crocus bud!
So the secret I know you now know too. Winter is leaving -- and Springtime is due!
Tractors with tracks make a big splash as they bring in the 2009 corn crop in the Spring of 2010. These photos were taken in the northern Red River Valley.
The Pirate Boys enjoyed watching the Lady Pirates at state on March 4th, 5th, and 6th even with the hard fought nail biters they had the first two games. The Kidder County Lady Pirates were the seventh place winners in the 2010 State Class B Girls' Basketball Tournament.
Then on March 18th, 19th, and 20th, it was the boy's turn to play and the girl's turn to cheer. The Kidder County Pirates were the 4th place winners in the 2010 State Class B Boys' Basketball Tournament.
Kidder County won the Spirit Award at both tournaments. The little older than average cheerleaders and fans could have just slept in on Friday mornings, but they didn't.
Kidder County had a very successful season. Eli Benz was named Miss Basketball and Adam Randall was named Mr. Basketball of North Dakota.
McKayla joined the 2009-2010 Little Lady Pirateers Dance Team. This year's dance team consisted of 42 little ladies, grades Kindergarten through 6th and they were ready to strut their stuff. They danced to Hannah Montana's "Hoedown" and they were lovin' it.
Ty decided to take our annual family vacation to Hastings, Nebraska during Christmas vacation instead of going during the heat of summer when things are really busy. Our journey began on Monday, December 28th. After two hours of traveling, we needed to make two quick stops. First we needed to pick up a motor to take with us for yet another one of Ty's cheap projects and a good deal all in one transaction. Second, we needed to do an exchange for a pair of boots that McKayla received for Christmas that were too small. A RCC Western Store was located but they did not have the same style. Thank goodness the sales person found a pair that she liked. McKayla a happy camper. After many more stops for fuel, food and bathroom breaks, we arrived safely home Wednesday, December 30th. We drove in a lot of fog, snow and ice. There was a lot of corn yet to be harvested along the way. The trip made us all realize that not only are we tired of these fast trips to Hastings, Nebraska but the 1475 odd miles and 50 hours of togetherness made us glad to be home.












No comments:
Post a Comment